Stretching your body regularly can help a lot to relieve pain and aches in the muscles. It helps to activate those tissues in your body that have been frozen for quite a long time because you spend most of your time sitting at your workplace or in front of the TV, and out of several different types of pains, the worse of them and commonly experienced nowadays is lower back pain.
As a result, you can’t sleep properly, have fun with friends or even do your workouts at the gym.
So, whether it’s just the stiffness, aches or spasms, here’s a 10-minute daily stretching routine that will help you get rid of your back pain.
Stretching Routine for Back Pain Relief
1. Knee to Chest Stretch
I love to start with this exercise as it dramatically stretches your lower back and gives instant relief along with preparing your muscles for the next stretching exercise. Here is how to perform the knee to chest stretch:
- Lie down on the floor and bend your knees. Make sure your feet are touching the floor.
- Now, bring your left knee to your chest and using your hands, pull it more towards your chest. Meanwhile, keep the right foot on the floor.
- Hold this position for 20 seconds and then gradually lower your leg to the starting position.
- Repeat the same for the left knee.
2. Quadriceps Lying Down Stretch
Quadriceps are a group of muscles located on the front of your thighs and have a strong connection with your lower back. They also help in controlling your movements and maintaining balance when you walk, jog, hop or run. Stretching them the right way will definitely help to relieve lower back pain.
- Lie down on the floor on your right side. This way, your left leg will be above the right one.
- Now bend your left knee and using your left hand, grab the ankle and stretch it towards your hip as much as you can.
- Hold this position for 30 seconds and then gradually release the tension.
- Repeat the same process by shifting to your left side.