For a majority of individuals, getting rid of their love handles and belly fat is probably the hardest thing to achieve. Well, it isn’t that you’re a lazy ass or not doing any workout at all. There’s a reason behind those stubborn love handles.
Larissa Wilson, who is a personal trainer in Sakatoon says, “Love handles are excess abdominal fat and are very challenging to get rid of. The deposits of fat in your body are determined by body type and genetics, however, you cannot spot-reduce body fat in the body.”
It seems like you need to put in some extra effort and typically target those love handles with some specific exercises to shed them off your body.
Get Rid Of Love Handles
So, here are 5 exercises, that we’ve pulled out for you to help you get rid of that extra deposit of fat that ruins your physique every time you hop into fit clothing.
1. Oblique Press And Reach
- Firstly, get down on your right knee with the left foot in front of your and the foot placed flat on the floor.
- Brace your core and tighten the abdominal muscles.
- Grab a light dumbbell in your left hand and extend it to the left and bend exactly at a 90-degree angle.
- Finally, reach up to extend the arm straight in the air while you bend the body down towards the right side and touching the right fingertips on the floor.
- Pull through your torso to bring yourself back to the starting position.
- Do three sets of 10 reps for each side.
Continued on the next page…
2. Side Plank Crunch
- To begin, place the left elbow on the floor with the left foot slightly in front of the right one.
- Brace your core.
- Now, pull the left knee inwards until it reaches your chest and then crunch the right elbow towards it.
- Gradually bring yourself back to side plank position.
- Perform three sets of 10-12 reps.
3. Plank Alternating Push-ups
- Basically, we’ll be mixing up the plank and push-ups into this exercise but won’t be doing the traditional push-ups.
- Get down in a plank position with the arms straight underneath your shoulders.
- Squeeze your butt and pull the abs tight.
- Finally, start with one arm and lower it on the forearm, followed by the other one.
- Now move back one arm at a time, followed by the other to get into an extended arm plank position.
- Do 16 reps, 8 for each side or till failure.
Continued on the next page…
4. Around The World Obliques
- You’ll begin by standing straight and legs wider than shoulder-width apart, while your toes turned out a bit and tailbone tucked.
- Grab a light dumbbell in your hands and extend them straight above your head, to an extent that it feels like a stretch.
- Now bend from your hips and reach your body as far you can towards your left. This way, your hips and shoulders will square forward.
- Just when you can’t reach any further, twist yourself back and this time go towards the other side.
- All you need to make sure is don’t lock your knees.
- Do 8-10 slow and controlled reps.
5. Pass the Ball
- It’s basically a variation of the bicycle crunches.
- Lie down flat on the floor and tighten your abs.
- Now, pick your chest up with the right knee into your chest and hold a ball in the left hand.
- Start by passing the ball underneath the right knee into the right hand and crunch up.
- Make a figure-8 as you rotate the ball here and there.
- Also, rotate the legs after each pass and crunch every time.
- Keep the shoulder blades lifted off the ground throughout the exercise.
- Do in continuous motion for 30-45 seconds.